Latest News / 6 Things That are Making Retirement More Expensive and What You Can Do About It
6 Things That are Making Retirement More Expensive and What You Can Do About It
April 19, 2022
As inflation trends at the highest levels seen in more than 40 years,1 it’s wreaking havoc on the budgets and spending power of consumers in the United States and across the globe. Inflation refers to the decrease in the purchasing power of money, which is reflected in an increase in the prices of goods and services. The resulting squeeze on consumers’ wallets is often felt more acutely by retirees drawing down on retirement savings or living on fixed incomes. The good news is that inflation is cyclical, meaning that it’s not likely to be permanent. While that may offer little comfort for those struggling to make ends meet in the current environment, there are ways to help ease the pain in six areas that are making retirement more expensive today.
1. Groceries are expected to rise another 3% to 4% this year,2 making it even more important to find ways to cut costs. Clipping coupons, buying generic brands, and shopping BOGO deals and promotions can help reduce your weekly grocery bill. To save even more, look for stores near you that offer senior discount days and similar promotions.
2. Gas prices have spiked significantly. Consider using apps that track gas prices where you live and travel. Try to bunch errands and appointments whenever possible.
3. Utility costs for natural gas, oil, propane, water, and electricity are rising across the country. Visit your local utility services’ websites for tips on reducing household consumption and home improvements that can help lower utility costs.
4. Healthcare expenses, including Medicare premiums, continue to rise. Take the time to compare plan costs and benefits during Medicare’s annual open enrollment periods to ensure you’re getting the coverage you need at the best possible price. Learn more at Medicare.gov.
5. Housing prices rose 14.6% in 2021.3 That’s good for sellers, but can be costly for buyers, even those seeking to downsize. While rising mortgage rates may help temper home prices in the months ahead, cash buyers or those willing to rent for a period of time until home prices stabilize may fare better.
6. Travel costs continue to rise with increased demand, as pandemic-related restrictions are lifted. When it comes to making travel arrangements, the more flexible you are, the more you stand to save. Consumers can save hundreds by booking last-minute deals for airfare, cruises, hotels, car rentals, and more. Traveling off-season or visiting less popular destinations can also translate to significant savings, along with fewer crowds. If you have questions about managing income in retirement, let’s schedule time to talk.
Check the background of this investment professional on FINRA’s BrokerCheck
Located at: 600 E 84th Avenue Merrillville, IN 46410
Phone: (844) 755-6600
Centier Investment Services is a marketing name of Cetera Investment Services. Securities and insurance products are offered through Cetera Investment Services LLC (doing insurance business in CA as CFG STC Insurance Agency LLC), member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory services are offered through Cetera Investment Advisers LLC. Neither firm is affiliated with the financial institution where investment services are offered. Individuals affiliated with this broker/dealer firm are either Registered Representatives who offer only brokerage services and receive transaction-based compensation (commissions), Investment Adviser Representatives who offer only investment advisory services and receive fees based on assets, or both Registered Representatives and Investment Adviser Representatives, who can offer both types of services.
These products and services are being offered through Cetera Investment Services LLC or its affiliates, which are separate entities from, and not affiliates of, Centier Bank or Centier Investments. Securities and insurance products offered by Cetera Investments are: *Not FDIC/NCUSIF insured *May lose value *Not financial institution guaranteed *Not a deposit *Not insured by any federal government agency.
This site is published for residents of the United States only. Registered Representatives of Cetera Investment Services LLC may only conduct business with residents of the states and/or jurisdictions in which they are properly registered. Not all of the products and services referenced on this site may be available in every state and through every advisor listed. For additional information please contact the advisor(s) listed on the site, visit the Cetera Investment Services LLC site at www.ceterainvestmentservices.com