Latest News / Travel with Confidence
Travel with Confidence
July 28, 2016
Regardless of when you choose to travel, it is important you understand some of the fees you may have to pay if you travel by plane or car. It is better to be prepared, so you can travel with confidence. Check out some of our tips to cut back on unnecessary fees when traveling:
- If traveling by plane, be sure you travel as light as you can. Some airlines will charge you up to $25 for one extra bag and up to $50 for the second – and so on. Also, if your bag is over 50 pounds, you may be charged an additional fee as well.
- Certain airlines will charge extra for seats with extra leg room, like emergency rows.
- “Priority” boarding comes with a fee in certain instances. Try and pack everything into one carry on that you can store under the seat in front of you so you don’t have to worry about fighting for space in the overhead compartments.
- When traveling by car, use an app such as “Gas Buddy,” to find the best price of gas in the area where you are traveling. You can save hundreds of dollars on an extended trip by saving a little bit of money here and there on gas.
- Consider pre-booking your hotel rooms when you are traveling or use rewards points for discounted and/or free rooms.
- If you are traveling to a foreign country, make sure you understand the fee structure for ATM and debit card use. In most instances, using your debit card is preferred (even above using your credit card) and will keep your costs down. Also, be sure you let your financial institution know you are traveling out of the country so holds will not be placed on your transactions and unnecessary fees will be avoided.